February 7

Places That I Want To Go: Norway

Hi Readers,

Although I have never been there, one of my favourite places in the world is Norway. Today I will be talking about the country of Norway.

Winds of Winter vladislav@munich via Compfight

Facts

Skiing originated in Norway. The Japanese got the idea of salmon sushi from Norway, and Norway is also the world’s largest exporter of salmon. Norway has the fourth largest number of Winter Olympic medals after Russia, Canada, and the U.S.A. The Norwegian currency is called the Norwegian krone. One Norwegian krone equals 15 Canadian cents. The capital city is Oslo, which is the largest city in Norway. Norway was originally called Norweg meaning the northern way. The national bird of Norway is the White Throated Dipper. Norway’s national symbol is the lion. The Norwegian painter Edvard Munch is famous for painting “The Scream”.

Baby Scream ALDO CRISCI via Compfight

Why I Want To Go There

First of all I would love to go to Norway because of all the skiing. It is very snowy in Norway in the winter. I started to like Norway during in the 2010 Winter Olympics. My dad showed me a really cool sport called the Biathlon that involves cross-country skiing and shooting. Norway always won that event. In the winter, Oslo has only six hours of sun, and the Northern Lights also happen quite often at night. I really want to go to the Oslo opera house because they let you walk on the roof! It is a modern building that opened in 2008. There are also lots of hiking spots around Norway, and you can travel on Hurtigruten which is a cruise ship that goes all around the country. I think that Norway is really cool.

Silent 2 ● Jökulsárlónn Raymond Ling via Compfight

Landscape

The highest mountain in Norway is called Galdhøpiggen which is 2,469 m high. The lowest point in Norway is the Norwegian Sea which is right at sea level.  Norway has over 300 mountains! Can you believe that! Norway is a very beautiful country.

~James

Posted February 7, 2017 by James in category Learning

7 thoughts on “Places That I Want To Go: Norway

1. Jennifer Heller

Hi James,

Your blog is very very informative. I’ve learned a lot about Norway. Thank you for putting it all together. Like you, I’ve not gone to Norway yet – but would love to go someday. I didn’t realize they only have 6 hours of daylight. I couldn’t imagine. I would love to go to see the Northern Lights. I hope you get there someday.
    Jenn

Reply
    1. James (Post author)

Hi Jennifer,
      I too could not imagine only 6 hours of daylight. That is crazy. Have you ever wanted to go anywhere else. Any suggestions for the next post. Have a good day. More posts coming soon.
      ~James

Reply
  2. Megan Mercado

Hi James
    My name is Megan, and student at Stockton University in New Jersey. Norway looks amazing. I learned great things from your post. I would love to see the Northern lights too. I did not know you could see them there. It is an amazing moment, I’m sure. My hope is that one day you’ll get to experience all that Norway has to offer. 🙂

Megan

Reply
  3. Nicole Foresta

Hey James!

I never knew all those cool facts about Norway. Sushi is one of my favorite things to eat and I never would of thought that the salmon sushi would come from there. After learning about Norway through your blog I would definitely love to visit there one day and hopefully you will get to too! Keep on blogging!

-Nicole

Reply
    1. James (Post author)

Hi Joon,
      Have you ever wanted to go to Norway? Glad you enjoyed the post More coming soon.
      ~James

Reply
  4. Evan

Hi James,
    It’s Evan from Brooklyn Elementary. Norway would be pretty cool place to go. It would be cool seeing all the mountains and go skiing in all the snow. It’s crazy that Norway has over 300 mountains and the highest one is 2,469 meters tall. I also learned the Norway has the largest export of salmon in the world.

Serenely Evan,

Reply